- For happiness and success
- For Managing People at Work
- For Young Adults
- For Anyone Who’s Ever Been Dumped
- For Dieting and Health
- For Sporting Excellence
- For Surviving The Office
- For a Work/Life Balance
I recently attended a workshop presented by Tony in my role on the Board of Centre For Hope, a Not For Profit supporting our youth with challenges fitting in with society….and Tony has great success in this area. The books he has written are a very easy read and highlight the following key points.
Firstly we need to understand the External Providers of Self Confidence:
- Physical Attractiveness,
- Exceptional talent,
- Celebrity status,
On the Flipside there are a number of Enemies of Self Confidence….We need to be aware of and then overcome these…
- Self doubt,
- Conflict of Conscience,
The books cover the detail behind each of these quite clearly.
There are 3 key elements to Self-confidence = Trust, Reliance, Respect
We had a brief discussion on helping build self confidence in others and highlighted a couple of tactics that can make a big difference…
- Offer opinions…not advice
- Eliminate from Vocabulary …”you should”…
Now here’s the “system” to follow for building your own self-confidence, in 5 Critical Steps…(in order)
1. Recognise & Embrace your own uniqueness.
- Positive affirmations that you believe, …..eg Even though i…… I completely accept and love who i am,
- once you accept you can then turn that into a positive affirmation
2. Acknowledge & celebrate your achievements…
- celebrating helps build a barrier to enemies of self confidence
3. Write a life contract with yourself…(your personal vision)
- Making it tangible, concrete, relevant ….
- Small card in pocket/wallet, etc…keep with you ….
- uses principles to defend against ALL the enemies of s/c ….
- write principles that positively define how you see yourself …
- Use for clarity of direction & confront any negative issues in your life ….
- no need to memorise it …read at least twice a day…slowly ….
- edit as your life changes
4. Set easy achievable goals ….
- need to have first 3 steps in place ….
- setting false expectations can undermine s/c ….
- actions to support life contract
5. Application …
- apply to your life ….
- apply each step