Here are some handy hints from our Man in Red who has a great team leveraging his time, so he only has to work one day a year (maybe two)… yes Santa.
- Deliver On Time – Would we still love Santa if he missed a year or came late occasionally? He has great systems to ensure everything runs like clockwork.
- Everyone Loves a Giver – Don’t be a taker, win prospects over with your generosity.
- Plan Ahead – He makes a list, checks it twice… how well do you list what you need to do?
- Hire a great team – Santa gets the glory, but the elves work like trojans to make it all happen… where are your elves?
- Teach your clients how to treat you – every kid knows how to leave out milk & cookies, and carrots for the reindeer. Do your clients know how to help you?
- Qualify hard – Do you grade your prospects and clients? Santa knows if we’ve been naughty or nice. Which of your clients have been Nice, which prospects fall into the naughty corner.
- Leverage well – Santa has a team of “doubles” who work the crowds at every shopping centre on the planet for the last 4 weeks… (sorry, you didn’t really think it weas himself did you!!?)
- Have great Leadership – running a great team like he has requires great Leadership.. how good is yours?
- He knows his numbers – He needs to budget very carefully and plan well ahead.
- Limit Access – Santa has things set so you can’t randomly get him on the mobile whenever you want… but has a system whereby you access him through his helpers and letters to the North Pole PO Box. You need to control your time and make sure you have a system to get back to your clients.
- Run Special Events – He’s the original Product Launch guys building massive anticipation, getting us to counting down the sleeps till the big day.
- Costumes & Self Promotion – If he just wore his regular gear he’d be no big deal… what is your uniform that sets you apart from the masses?
- Repeat Business – Santa doesn’t forget the importance of repeat business and making sure that every client experience is a positive one… wowing them wherever possible.
- Get others to talk you up – He’s got everyone talking about him, so never has to talk himself up.
- Build a Business to give you free time – As I’ve already mentioned… his elves and “doubles” enable him really work only a couple of days. Even the list checking is is outsourced to India so he can relax with Mrs Claus most of the year.
So – there are lessons everywhere for us in business… have fun using these thoughts and I wish you a profitable festive season.